Sunday, March 17, 2013

Extra Credit Part ||

This is part two of what I posted in last weeks blog. It is my Social Studies super hero extra credit. So I hope you enjoy the rest.

Chapter Four

These reviewed comics are separated into two different books. Part one is in Whiz Comics 025 and part two is in Master Comics 22. The Whiz Comics cover date/on sale date is December 1941. The Whiz Comics writer was France Herron and their artists are C. C. Beck and Mac Raboy. The Master Comics cover date/on sale date is January 1942. The writer was Bill Woolfolk and the artist is Mac Raboy. They were both published by Fawcett Comics.

This comic is explaining Hitlers übermensch. Übermensch is German for super human. Captain Nazi is Hitlers example of übermensch. He also talked about aryan which is German for racism. Hitler was very racist. He thought that Germans were a different species like übermensch. So in this comic they pose Captain Nazi as the bad guy and make him fight the crippled kid Captain Marvel Jr.

This is drawn by Mac Raboy. That is really important because he is one of the best Golden Ages artists. Not only that but he is black. That was a very big deal for the 1940's.

That is what I learned from these comics. This comic is important because it is the first appearance of Captain Marvel Jr. and Captain Nazi. This is trying to show that the Germans are no better than everyone else in the world, even if they think they are.

Chapter Five

In this chapter I will show some examples of different comic covers. Below I will write a caption about them. They all have something to do with the war and us fighting Germany. They are basically showing examples of the comics I reviewed earlier.




Superman #17 July-August 1942

This is Superman holding up Hitler and ToJo telling the kids that these are the bad guys.




Captain America #1 March 1941

This is again telling the kids Hitler is the bad guy. Captain America is punching him in a Nazi base.





Action Comics 101 October 194

On August 9,1945 the atomic bomb took out a city in Japan. This is showing Superman the man of tomorrow doing what nobody else could do which is recording a test explosion.





World's Finest Comics #6 Summer 1942

This is telling the kids to be proud and thankful to the solders and appreciate what they sacrificed.




World's Finest Comics #7 Autumn 1942

This is showing that we should be happy to go to war because we know we are fighting for what is right.




World's Finest Comics #8 Winter 1942-1943

War bonds are money you donate to the war and you would get the same amount or more back some time later. It is kind of like the government borrowing money that they will return to help the war.




World's Finest Comics #11 Autumn 1943

This is encouraging kids to grow a garden so they can save more store bought food for the soldiers. This way the soldiers could have more meat. It is trying to convince the kid that you would be helping the soldiers, by saving food.




America's Greatest Comics #3 August 12, 1942

This is them getting in a fist fight against Tokyo.




Wonder Woman #1 Summer 1942

This is Wonder Woman helping lead the war showing that women have parts in the war too.




All-Star Comics #27 Winter 1945-1946

This is also showing that we should appreciate what our soldiers have done for us.

Conclusion

So for my conclusion I will answer a few questions for you. They will be bits and pieces of what I have learned from this experience. Most of the questions I feel very strongly about. I think this has really changed how I feel about everything that I went over in the report.

So first question I am going to answer for you is who bought comics back then? Well the average age for kids who read comics is eight. Now parents might have bought it for the kids, but it was the kid that read it. So that concludes that question.

Next question is why would the superhero's join the war before America? The comic book creators wanted to join the war. We wanted to fight for what we knew was right. We wanted to prove to everyone that the Germans were no better than everyone else and that they could be taken down. I think that we did what was right and humiliated Hitler.

This question is why would comics show the glories of being in the military? I think it would show the glories so that the kids would appreciate what our soldier are willing to do for us. Like what they have given up or sacrifice for us. Most of them are willing to risk their lives for us. There is also that the kid that is reading the comic might have family in the war and it might make them feel a little better about that. That's why I think they showed the glories of being in the military.

Why would they show the evil of Hitler and ToJo? The reason is they are trying to say that these are the bad guys you should not be like them. I also think they are trying to say that we are fighting for what is right and these people are not.

Why would they sell war bonds in the comic? Well I think it is partially an advertisement sort of thing. I think it is also trying to convince the kid that he should try to make his parents buy war bonds. If they see heroes selling it they are going to think it is cool and want one too.

That is an overall summary of what I have learned from this report. I had to place myself in both the kids and the authors mind. I think I really expanded and learned a lot from this topic.

The End

So that's that people. This has helped me see the war at a different point of view than what I was seeing it as before. (Boring Social Studies class.) It was different than a normal report because well, it had super hero's fighting in wars in it.


- Posted by Katie

1 comment:

  1. What feedback did your teacher give you? I'm so curious how this went over! How unexpected to come at WW2 from this angle.

    I really liked reading this Katie! You did a really good job!

    ReplyDelete